Friday, March 3, 2017

1935―French Cameroun (The Eastern Part of German Kamerun from 1884-1916)―Excerpt of "Disciples of Fortune"


“Learn to prevail in life, Son! Always strive to get what you want that is right, what you need, especially if your intentions are good and nobody gets hurt in the process.”     
     Hans coughed uneasily, shook his head, and then sucked his mouth. “I will try. If only Germany didn’t distort reality to the point where I can’t say for sure where I belong.”
     Nana Njike laughed meekly at his son. “Hans, Hans, Hans. Nowhere in this enigmatic world of ours shall you find reality the way you want it to be.”
     “Well, maybe French control is better than German rule after all.”
     “Be more explicit, Son! I take it you mean better than the rule of Nazi Germany.”
     “In a way!”
     “It has to be because nothing about the nature of French control can be compared to German rule as we knew it during the reign of the Kaiser.”
     “I learned the French are more accommodating and have even developed an assimilation policy.”
     “Phew!” Nana Njike exclaimed in a disapproving manner, “They are molding puppets for future use against the Kamerunian people.”
     “What am I sensing here? Pessimism?”
     “No, Son! I am optimistic about our future, but not as a subjugated people under French control.”
     “Whatever it turns out to be, French Cameroun promises to be an interesting hell after all.”
     “An interesting hell you say. Whatever the case, it is one hell I enjoy because I mostly have victories of my own,” Nana Njike said and grimaced. 


No comments:

Post a Comment